Friday, August 10, 2012

Fun at In-Step Children's Home Today


Well, after the last few rather depressing blogs, I hope that this one is more uplifting!  The children and I spent a lovely day out at In-Step Children’s Home today.  Besides the fact that anytime spent out there is precious, this was a special occasion. 

Several months ago, when Roger’s mom and dad were here visiting, they came to In-Step with me to see what I do there and to see this wonderful children’s home that I frequently talk about.  One of the things I do there is Story-Time once a month with the class 1 kids (most of the kids are about 6 years old).  The particular week they were there, one of the books I read was a children’s version of a chapter in Little House in the Big Woods called Christmas in the Big Woods.  In the story, Laura Ingalls gets a rag doll for Christmas. 

When my mother-in-law returned back to her church in the States and told the ladies there about the children at In-Step, they decided to make rag dolls for each of the boys and girls in my class.  When they were finished making them, they prayed over each one before they decided to name them (each doll got the name of the child that it would go to), and then they chose which doll would get which name.  The names were then put on the foot of the dolls.  The children at In-Step knew nothing about this….

…Until today!  I sat down with the kids and told them it was a special day because I was only going to read one story and it was one I’ve read before.  They sat attentively (which doesn’t happen every time ;-) ) and when I was finished reading the story, I told them the story of the Ladies at Calvary Baptist Church in West Branch, MI.  Then,  I opened up the box the dolls were in and called each child by name, handing him or her the doll that belonged to them. 
Reading the story, with Sherlyn (sitting to my left) translating for me.

Handing out the first doll to Sheri






















It was so precious; they were so excited they giggled each time a new name was called.  Each child came to me, received their doll, thanked me, then went to get their picture taken with the doll.
The ladies even sent one extra for a boy and one extra for a girl, and that was fantastic because just this week, another 6 year old was taken in at In-Step.  Her name was Sandra.  She was so excited about her doll that she almost couldn’t wait!  This may very well be the first doll she has ever owned of her own.  This morning before I left the house, I found a fine-tip permanent marker to put her name on the doll that would be hers. 

Sheri
Rehema

Melissa K.
Brenda


Melissa I.

Rebecca
Sandra
Musa


Musa getting his doll

James
Sammy
Moses


George
Francis
Dennis

Paul
I can’t tell you the love I felt flowing from the heart of God to these children through these dolls.  I know that sounds strange, but it’s the truth.  I know they will feel it as well.

Thank you so much, ladies of Calvary Baptist Church in West Branch!!!!  You have touched the hearts of these children in ways you or I may never know and never understand.  Thank you for letting God’s love flow through you.  You made  a difference in the lives of these precious 15 children today.

After “Story-Time” I spent some time in the In-Step hospitality room with Sean and Meredith Stewart who work at In-Step.  With us was little Jason, one of In-Step’s newer little ones.  I’ll let you read about him on In-Step’s website (www.rehemaministries.com) .  I will tell you, however, that Jason is…9 months old!  He is as precious as all get-out.  He stayed with Sean and Meredith in their home here in Kitale for the first 2 weeks so that they could give him their full attention and make sure he was getting the medicines he needed and the nutrition that he needed.  I will also tell you he went from being absolutely terrified of them when they first picked him up from the Children’s department, to being one of the happiest, and most well-adjusted little guys!  He loves Sean and Meredith and smiles and talks to them and just beams when he sees them!  He’ll be “In-Step” with the other kids his age in no time with the love and care he receives from everyone at In-Step. 

Me and baby Jason


Mama Mary (Meredith) and baby Jason


One final thing – I’m adding a picture of Esther – Philip’s little sister (you might remember Philip was the little boy that stayed with us for a couple months last year).  When she went to In-Step, she couldn’t stand or walk on her own.  She was 2 years old and looked 9 months, and she was very sick.  Just look at her now!!!!


BEFORE PICTURE: Philip with Esther  

AFTER PICTURES: Esther going to play
A night and day difference from last year!


Thank you, In-Step!!!! Thank you, Carla and Jeff Picicci, and Sean and Meredith Stewart - for what you do for these little ones, and for letting me participate in a small way.  Thank you for letting me share in the joy of these beautiful children!

You can see the profiles of each of these precious ones on the In-Step Website:  www.rehemaministries.com Please go and learn each of their stories.  You'll be amazed at the way God steps into impossible situations and gives love and life and hope!  

1 comment: