Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Puppy needing a little help...
We been a little concerned the last couple of days because it seems like our Mama German Shepherd doesn't have enough milk to feed her 2 week old puppy, Bear.  I've been seriously considering supplementing his feeding, but wasn't sure the best way to go about it.  I started by letting him spend time with Annie (his mama) to nurse and then when she was finished and walked away, taking him into the house and trying to give him regular milk out of a baby bottle.  He was obviously hungry and was starting to figure out the bottle, but I wasn't sure about giving him the milk.

I looked up information online and found that cow's milk wasn't a good substitute, but its not like I can get puppy formula here!  Thankfully, I found a site with a recipe for home made puppy formula!  And it just so happens I am able to get all the ingredients here in Kitale!  I tried it from the bottle and he really wanted it, but was just having a difficult time getting it.  Then, the Amy and Josiah told me that they had seen him trying to eat Annie's food out of her dish!  So, I put the "milk" in a shallow dish and let him go for it.  He loved it!!!  Drank 4 whole ounces!!!!!!  He is now conked out in my lap with a full belly and sleeping soundly!  I think he has a chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment